17th May 2021
Dates for Your Diary
- Headteacher Annual Online Conference – Friday 25 June. Keynote speakers: Christopher Whittington and Jaz Ampaw Farr. For the agenda and booking click here
- Governors Annual Conference – Thursday 1 July. Keynote Speaker: Sharon Warmington, CEO of the National Black Governors Network. Please do encourage your governors to book. A booking link and agenda can be found here
- Headteacher Wellbeing Group – 20 May 4.00-5.30pm. Hosted by on Zoom by Dr Kate Middleton (no DBE officers will be present! A safe space to ‘decompress’ and be in a supportive environment with colleague Headteachers. To book your place and get the zoom link click here.
Ofsted’s Research Report on RE
Ofsted have released a new Research Report on RE which can be found here. Jen Jenkins, (DBE RE and Spirituality Officer) is reading it and will be sharing a summary with notes for schools shortly.
Year 6 Transition Sessions
As mentioned at the Heads’ Briefing, here are the Year 6 Transition sessions written by Jen Jenkins including 9 hour-long sessions, teacher notes, PowerPoint presentations and a pupil reflective journal under the theme of ‘Growing Beyond Your Roots: Transitioning from Primary to Secondary’ with a church school focus. https://www.dropbox.com/t/2R1moZF2mAxH0ESl
New School Admissions Code Published
A new Admissions Code has been published by the DfE (subject to parliamentary process) and will come into force on 1st September 2021.
The main purpose of these changes is to improve support for the in-year admission of vulnerable children. The changes include introducing more detail on the process for managing in-year admissions; changes to improve the effectiveness of Fair Access Protocols; giving children adopted from state care outside of England equal admissions priority as children who were previously looked after in England; and clarification of which address to use for the admission of service or crown servant children. There are also further minor clarification changes.
A copy of the Code can found here. Further guidance for own admission authorities in Coventry Diocese will follow in due course.
Free INSET day from Thrive – a focus on wellbeing and keeping safe
Thrive is partnering with Strictly Education to offer you a free INSET day on Wednesday 1 September 2021. Featuring keynote speeches from Thrive’s Head of Innovation in Education and Principal Trainer, Viv Trask-Hall, and Head of UK Regional Development, Lee Prichard, the training is a great opportunity for your colleagues to come together and explore how to better support the wellbeing of your students and staff. The course will cover:
- Promoting children’s positive mental health
- Supporting staff wellbeing
- Headteacher perspective on whole-school wellbeing
- Why does your brain get stressed?
- Safeguarding in a post lockdown world
- Quality Health & Safety Management
Click here to find out more and book your INSET day.
Two Thirds Design Summer Term Offer
Being unable to exhibit and see schools in person this year, Two Thirds Design are offering Diocesan Schools a 10% discount off any of our bespoke commissions for the Summer Term. See the work on www.twothirdsdesign.co.uk Contact Carly on 0121 233 2057 or email email@example.com